Sunday, June 16, 2013

BOOONNNNAAAARRROOOOOver!!!

 - Bonaroo 2013

Good evening music lovers! Those who follow the music scene, know that the infamous festival of Bonaroo 2013 is coming to a close tonight. The festival began Thursday, June 13 with the less well known name bands such as Django Django and Killer Mike. Their were a few other bands that played as well but these were the only two I was familiar with.


             Friday, is the first day that the party really began to kick off with well known groups such as Passion Pit, Wilco, Wu-Tang Clan, and even Paul McCartney. Absolutely amazing, I really wish I could have been there to actually see a Beatle perform. To end the night, huge acts such as Pretty Lights and Porter Robinson performed.
             Saturday, from seeing the lineup, appeared to be a little more soft than the Friday headliners, but I am sure everyone who attended had a phenomenal time watching bands like The Lumineers, (who just played recently in Charleston) Jack Johnson, R. Kelly, Billy Idol, and Weird Al. That's right, I said it, Weird Al. Somehow he is still in famous, still making crappy music, funny, but still crappy.
              Sunday, these were the more highlighted bands in my eyes Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, David Byrne & St. Vincent and super-headliner Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would be the last musical act to play. They also threw in a few comedy acts throughout the week, as well as some other performance art shows to cater to those that may want a break from all of the concerts.

(A side note, Bonaroo has over 150 bands playing over the course of the festival, and with has many as five bands playing at once. Above, I only mentioned the shows I thought more notable to my taste.)

            I have been to Bonaroo twice. The first time I went was back in 2004, and more recently in 2012. When I saw the lineup they released in mid February, I wasn't too pleased with what I saw. Don't get me wrong, the festival itself is an amazing experience with tons of opportunities to do whatever someone can think up. Also, I am sure the majority of the people who attended were able to have a great experience.
             The festival caters to everyone's music tastes with the eclectic group of artists they bring in year after year. Anytime you have anything that is as chill as Sir Paul McCartney, to that old school gangsta rap Wu-Tang, to some sweet r and b music with R. Kelly, you should be able to find something that interests you. Even for those who like the new electronic music genre, Pretty Lights and Porter Robinson appeared at the festival. From the two times I have been, I have only good things to say about my experiences.
            Unfortunately, this year I knew I would not be attending. First of all, the festival was too expensive for the lineup that I wasn't really crazy about. I also knew that I was going to be taking summer classes. I had to make the adult decision to stay home for this one, although I am a perpetuator of fun!! If someone would have given me a discounted or a free ticket I would have gone in a heartbeat(but please don't tell my wife I said that, wasn't really accounting for her needs or schedule!).
           Those who went, tell me, what was it like this year? Was there anything different from prior years? I am sure this year warranted more attendees with music legends such as Tom Petty and Paul McCartney. Is the festival getting too large? I will say from what I remember last year, their was nothing like waiting in line for thirty minutes to use a port-a-potty first thing in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment